Shoya Publika 翔家 | KL

we felt saddened when we got to know our favourite Sushiya Publika was no longer in operation. The current location is now taken over by Shoya Publika.

Today we brave ourselves to pay a visit to Shoya with the hope that everything will be "as it was". While the price has doubled I would say we still enjoy the experience pretty much. Definitely is one of the omakase dining that we would come back. It's truly a hidden gem💛

FULL COURSE   RM 480++   

Chawan Mushi  

Sashimi 3 kind  

Sushi 3 kind  

Seasonal - Shirako Ponzu  

Sushi 4 kind  

Hot dish  

Small bowl soup  

Dessert

The staff has amazed me with their surprised attention to details. First time I've ever experienced having staff to offer to switch the chopsticks to my left after they saw me using the spoon with my left hand in our introductory dish. I'm not left-handed btw but sometimes I do confused myself because I think I'm born to be left-handed but was trained not to be left-handed.



Seasonal - Shirako Ponzu.

Shirako, also known as milt (sperm sacs), is a Japanese delicacy that is rich and creamy in taste. For adventurous eaters, shikaro is something for you to try at least once. It’s the fish semen usually obtained from cod and salmon (I completely understand your feelings). I still remember my first encounter in Japan with shirako wasn’t really a pleasant one after knowing what it was. Probably the eating experience feels like tasting foie grais for the first time. You need to push yourself for a few attempts then only you will start to enjoy it (or never).  

In Shoya, they made shirako a more palatable texture (not too soft and mushy) by preparing in aburi or flame sheared. It was my first time for seared shirako and I have to say I like the texture after it was treated with fire. The citrus-based ponzu sauce over the seared shirako goes so well.

Miyazaki Wagyu Nigiri.

Another nigiri sushi we enjoyed with its rich buttery taste that melts in the mouth. If it wasn't limited capacity for my stomach I would have ask for more rice like him to mix and finish the last drop of my egg yolk sauce.

The signature smoke sushi.

The food presentation was appealing. Beautifully plated and very flavourful. 




A hearty bowl of hot dish and soup (with tamago) to warm the tummy at the end of the meal. 



Just like Sushiya, the ingredients served in Shoya is fresh and considerable larger in portion. I guess this location will remain as our favourite :)

END

Comments